Spring is the season for new beginnings, and what better new beginning than a good spring cleaning that allows you to declutter your home!
But how do you tackle what may be a daunting task for many homeowners: cleaning out your attic, crawl space, basement, garage and/or shed, along with other rooms in your home, reorganizing the space and only keeping essential items?
Enter portable storage containers. They’re a great tool if you’re looking to declutter your home this spring. Renting or leasing a personal on-site storage container or two also helps you stretch the living space in your home and lets you store superfluous household items and personal belongings from garages, sheds, basements, crawl spaces and attics until you find another place for them. Mobile storage containers are also a terrific staging area for items deemed good enough for future garage, tag or yard sales.
Boss Rentals, the leading supplier of attractive, high-quality portable storage units to the residential, retail and home-based business markets since 2006, offers both renting and leasing options. We offer two conveniently sized mobile storage units – the 10-foot PUP-tainer® and the 20-foot standard-sized container. Depending on your storage needs, we can deliver either size directly to your home.
To get started, our storage experts have put together some tips for decluttering and reorganizing your home this spring:
- Plan and Commit: Pick a date and stick to it. Outline what rooms in your house you want to declutter and when. Understand this process takes time. So you might want to block out several days or a couple of weekends, depending on how much clutter you want remove from your home.
- Enlist Help: The larger the task, the more help you’ll need to get it done and not feel overwhelmed. So recruit some family and friends to help, especially if any of them knows how to work organizational magic. Offer a dinner out for a few hours of help in your house. Seeing someone else effortlessly organizing your things will motivate you to continue and inspire you to finish.
- Start Small: Begin with a room or space, such as a guest bedroom, linen closet or laundry area, which can quickly be cleaned and organized. Build on that progress and go room by room, working your way up to larger spaces, such as the garage, basement or attic, which can be very intimidating.
- Sort Items into Keep, Donate, Sell and Trash Categories: Whether it’s a small area or a big garage, it’s best to sort all of your items, large and small, into four categories: keep, donate, sell and trash. And stick to it! Try not to let sentimentality get in the way when sorting because it’ll make it easier to part with large and small items that haven’t been used in a long time and are now taking up space.
- Get Organized: After the sorting and purging process is complete, be sure to find a space for everything you’re keeping and organize it in such a way it makes it easy to find and use. Use labels and put away seasonal items. Invest in storage bins and other types of organizational tools as needed. Highlight items worthy of display.
- Maintain the Space: As each room of your house is cleaned, decluttered and organized, keep up the effort. Put items back in their rightful spots when you’re done with them and encourage your family to do the same. Even if you or your family forgets occasionally, repetition will turn into habit, making it easier to keep your space organized and clutter-free.
Before you start the decluttering process in your home, be sure to contact Boss Rentals today at 888-599-BOSS (2677) to learn more about our portable storage unit renting and leasing options. Our professional staff can work directly with you, talk about your specific needs and steer you to the precise mobile storage containers that work for you!